64bit + linux-3.8.13/rtai-4.0 + linuxcnc-2.6.0-pre

More
05 May 2014 23:09 #46635 by rythmnbls
The tarball came from rtai.org, I used the link on the main page www.rtai.org/userfiles/downloads/RTAI/rtai-4.0.tar.bz2

Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2014 17:57 #46681 by ArcEye
Afraid thus far I cannot replicate.

The kernel config you posted produced a kernel with just a handful of modules, which failed to boot because initramfs-3.8.13-rtai did not contain modules required

I amended my x86 config for x86_64 and produced a working 3.8.13-rtai kernel with RTAI from a fresh pull on cvs giving /usr/realtime built against it

The problems came with linuxcnc, the posemath library was not being built properly, giving either errors before completion trying to link with other code requiring functions in posemath
or at the end when linuxcnc was launched, with insmod error for rtai_math giving 'unknown symbol sincos', which is a function which should be in posemath.

Which version of linuxcnc did you use?

I was using Machinekit, which is essentially 2.7 (or 2.6 plus ubc-3 and TP) and builds perfectly with a 3.4.55-rtai and a 3.5.7-rtai x86 kernel

regards

More
08 May 2014 02:05 #46696 by rythmnbls

The kernel config you posted produced a kernel with just a handful of modules, which failed to boot because initramfs-3.8.13-rtai did not contain modules required

I don't use a initrd boot system, my kernel builds usually contain all the drivers needed for boot. FYI I'm not using Ubuntu

The problems came with linuxcnc, the posemath library was not being built properly, giving either errors before completion trying to link with other code requiring functions in posemath
or at the end when linuxcnc was launched, with insmod error for rtai_math giving 'unknown symbol sincos', which is a function which should be in posemath.

Which version of linuxcnc did you use?

I had the same unresolved sincos symbol problem, there is an option in the rtai config to enable Mathfuns support in the kernel, when I enabled it solved that problem.

The version of linuxcnc was from git. Last commit was ...

git log -C --stat
commit e66e5c954ba6dca72b035b0591447eaaeb144a1d
Merge: 388e8ae 00f2ea4
Author: Chris Radek <chris@xxxxxx.xxx> (email redacted)
Date:   Sat Apr 5 19:37:11 2014 -0500

Merge branch '2.6'

Regards.

Steve.

More
08 May 2014 16:52 #46718 by ArcEye

I don't use a initrd boot system, my kernel builds usually contain all the drivers needed for boot.

That explains it, but I need a flexible build not limited to a narrow range of hardware.
Anyway the kernel now builds and runs with my adapted x86 config

FYI I'm not using Ubuntu

Nor am I (Debian 7.5)

I had the same unresolved sincos symbol problem, there is an option in the rtai config to enable Mathfuns support in the kernel, when I enabled it solved that problem.

I always enable that and the C99 options, otherwise Linuxcnc will not build

There is something screwy going on with the maths functions, they were what caused the most problems with ubc-x previously

The configure script with linuxcnc is different and may be pulling in maths functions from elsewhere

I will have another play when I have time

regards

More
08 May 2014 17:51 #46720 by rythmnbls

I always enable that and the C99 options, otherwise Linuxcnc will not build

Try it without the C99 options, I had issues with it enabled, also I build the entire kernel with the sse patch applied.

Regards.

Steve.

More
26 Aug 2014 07:30 #50288 by Bari
32b and 64b Linux 3.14 RTAI is working now with Linuxcnc.

github.com/NTULINUX/RTAI

Only tested and confirmed working on AMD64 platforms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArcEye

More
26 Aug 2014 15:42 #50297 by ArcEye
Thanks Alec

Forked and cloned.

I mostly use amd_64 too, but I have some i386 partitions which I will test a build on later in the week

regards

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds